This page contains affiliate links to products I recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.
I have been praying for several years for myself, my sister, my daughters, my son-in-love, and my granddaughter to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord. What does that mean? To walk in a manner worthy of the Lord means to live in a way so that we will point other people to Christ.
What does that mean? First of all, we need to know that we have a personal relationship with Christ, realizing that we are a sinner and that Jesus died on the cross while we were still a sinner, to cleanse us from that sin and to make us as if we had never sinned. What love!
” For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.” John 3:16
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
There are so many aspects of walking in a manner worthy of the Lord. I am going to break it down into several areas to make it easier to see what I mean:
- Abide in Christ- Abide simply means to “live in”. How does one live in Christ? My first thought is to live in His word. I want to know Christ and know how He wants me to live. How does He tell us how to live? With His word!
- We need to hear the word of God. “So faith comes from hearing, and hearing comes by the word of Christ.”- Romans 10:17.
- We need to read the word of God. “Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of prophecy, and heed the things which are written in it, for the time is near.” Revelation 3:20.
- We need to study the word of God- “Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with eagerness, examining the scriptures daily to see whether things were so.” Acts 17:11
- We need to memorize the word of God- “How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Your word…. Your word have I hid in my heart that I may not sin against You.” Psalm 119:9.11
- We need to meditate on the word of God- “But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night.” Psalm 1:2
When my youngest daughter, Hannah was just a baby, my friend, Lani, signed me up for a Bible Study. It was a Precept by Precept Bible Study by Kay Arthur. Kay, in this type of Bible Study, taught how to study the Bible in an inductive way. I had never been taught to study the Bible in that way. It changed my life!
We need to Pray
How do we pray? My prayer life was changed in an instant when I was in college. For my entire life, up to that point, I had seen and heard people pray to God as if He was up in the air, up in heaven with the “Thee’s” and Thy’s”. One evening during a vesper service at the BSU at Murray State University where I attended, I heard a guy named Mike Hoyt pray and I had never really heard anyone pray like that before. It was like Jesus was standing right next to him! I even opened my eyes and looked at Mike. He was just talking to Jesus. It was such a personal conversation, like Mike knew Him and He was just a friend.
I knew Jesus as my personal Savior, but I had never experienced that kind of prayer life with Him before. I had never been discipled or taught that I could pray like that. I just prayed like I had seen or heard others people pray before. What a discovery! It really changed my life!
Oh, my goodness, what a difference we can make in someone’s life! Lani, by signing me up for that Bible study and Mike, by just praying out loud so I could hear the way he prayed! I have never been the same after those two experiences.
How do you walk in a manner worthy of the Lord?
Robin is the widow of James, mom of Sarah & Hannah, mom-in-love of Matthew (Sarah’s husband) and Grandma to Callie. She is a prayer warrior and lover of the Word of God. She is a creative mixed media artist and loves to do crafts of all kinds. She is a retired nurse and currently loving the retired life.